I don't remember the first time I heard about Bikram Yoga but since then, I have always wanted to try it. There is something fascinating about doing Yoga in a 104 degree room... Masochistic? Yes, I rather am when it comes to fitness. The harder, the more challenging, the better! Exception with weights, I just get bored when I am in a weight room.
Living in San Antonio, I have the opportunity to take 10 days of Bikram for $20. That is a great price, considering it's like $150/month. Pretty expensive considering you are putting yourself through immense suffering.
I took the plunge and drove myself to the Bikram studio because we are moving in about ten days and I won't get another chance. I was REALLY nervous when I got out my car, walked into the studio and was briefed on what exactly I was going to be putting myself through.
There are a few rules in a Bikram class: 1. No talking 2. No leaving to use the restroom 3. No shoes or other personal items allowed in the studio 4. Drink water when directed 5. When the door closes, it closes and you can't come in 6. New people go to the back of the room.
I had been drinking water all day to prepare myself for the adventure I was about to behold, I had to pee REALLY bad. I went into the bathroom and every stall was taken by people changing. I waited to go pee for like 5 minutes!! These people were taking forever. Why couldn't they just get dressed in the locker room like everyone else? Quickly peed so I could go get in the smoldering HOT room.
Got my mat, towel and walked into what I really think Hell feels like. The smell was so rank, I was more frightened of the foot, BO, and butt smell than the heat. I didn't know how I was fully going to be able to breathe because of the stench. Plus there was not a spot in the back of the room!! I went to the front.
The teacher rang a bell, came into the room and everyone stood up. He immediately made me go to the back of the room and SQUEEZE between two other newbies. I felt so uncomfortable just getting up to move to another spot, how was I going to get through this class?
People don't wear much to this practice, for obvious reasons. It was a little strange for me to see the men just walking around barely dressed and being comfortable in their skin. Nothing against them, I just haven't seen that much skin, even in my dancing days.
I went back to yoga the following day and the second class was actually felt harder than the first. The studio I went to didn't smell bad and I will be going back there again. I also have had a really hard time sleeping and running yesterday was more of a challenge. My goal is to try and loosen up my tight hamstrings, so far it's not working, they hurt more than ever. The best part about class is when it's over and you get to walk out. I have a long way to go with this practice and I am sad we are moving and I won't be able to continue. The price is not very affordable either.
This is where I went: Bikram Yoga of San Antonio




No comments:
Post a Comment